Dilaram Bungalow is situated at Alkapuri area, which was the bungalow of Deewan of Maharaja, Manibhai Mehta. The bungalow was made in Year 1863 and was later given to Government Officers and Forest Officers to stay. Later in Year 2005, the then Chief Minister, Narendra Modi handed the Bungalow to Ram-Krishna Mission.
Before going to USA to participate in the Chicago Parliament of Religions, Swami Vivekananda had traveled all over India as a Parivrajaka for about three years, out of which perhaps the longest period was spent in Gujarat. After visiting Ahmedabad, Limbdi, Junagadh, Dwarka, Somnath, Jamnagar, Porbandar, Bhuj, Narayan Sarovar, Bhavnagar, Palitana, Nadiad and other places he finally came to Vadodara in April 1892 and stayed as a guest of Shri Manilal Mehta, the Deewan of Vadodara who was then staying in Dilaram Bungalow.
During his stay at Vadodara, Swami Vivekananda spent some time with Shri Manilal Mehta, Dewan of Vadodara in discussing about the educational system of the state. He also saw the library and the pictures by Ravi Varma in the Laxmi Vilas Palace and then left for Mumbai, probably on 26th April 1892.
It is a matter of great joy that the historic Dilaram Bungalow, sanctified by the stay of Swami Vivekananda in Year 1892 has been handed over by the Government of Gujarat to the Ramakrishna Mission on 30 years’ lease at a token rent of Rs 1, for converting it into a benefiting Memorial of Swami Vivekananda. A new branch centre of Ramakrishna Mission has also been started there. At present there are more than 150 branches of Ramakrishna Math & Mission spread all over the world out of which three centres are in Gujarat, Rajkot, Limbdi and Porbandar. Now the fourth one has been started here in city. Many educational, medical and welfare activities will be undertaken through this branch centre, keeping in view the message of Swami Vivekananda of worshiping the divine in human beings. Thus a long cherished dream of numerous devotees and friends has been fulfilled.